Tuesday, March 3, 2009

3 years and counting......

The weekend of March 29th to April 1st is the 3 year anniversary of the weekend I started running. I was in California visiting my best friend Jim and I HAD to keep my exercise and weight loss going. Jim’s wife is a great cook, and I was fearful I’d fall off the wagon. This was the perfect time to start running, seeing as though I had no gym to go to.
So it’s fitting that this marathon is on Whidbey Island where Jim’s mom lives and where Jim spends a month of every year, fishing. We’ll spend the night in the guesthouse right on the water. One of my most beautiful runs was there on the island August 2006. I spent a week up there when Jim was in town, and I would get up just before the sun came up. I remember how odd it felt running nearly 12 miles without seeing a car. I did see many deer and bunnies and cool creatures though. Besides running in Sydney Australia, this had to be the best run ever. So my next marathon will hopefully be full of those same views. The race starts on the land side of Deception Pass and the first mile crosses a bridge to the island. I’ll become very intimate with the next 26.2 south of there.

The beach where we'll be staying.....
















Deception Pass......

No comments:

Post a Comment